Sunday, July 6, 2008

Endangered species, a lesson learned

Last weekend we went on an abbreviated hike near the Sourdough Trail. On the way up we tend to focus simply on the ascent, periodically checking the GPS to see how our elevation has changed, and checking the sky to see if anything looks squirrelly.

The way down is another hike altogether. Our pace is a bit more leisurely, and I'm looking left and right trying to identify plants and spot something new and different. Kevin awaits patiently as I snap photos of my discoveries, quizzing him on the quality of my shots, and speculating which plants are related to those with which I'm familiar back home.

Well lo and behold, my first discovery, Calypso Bulbosa, more commonly known as Fairy Slipper. This particular flower holds a bit of significance for me. Apparently, when I was somewhere in the neighborhood of four, I picked a stunning bouquet of Lady Slipper orchids for my mother from the woods behind our house that would have looked very much like this, but a bit bigger. Little did I know they were an endangered species. Turns out the Fairy Slipper is also an endangered species, but don't worry, Mom. This one stayed put.


Next up was the Woodland Strawberry...


...the Green Gentian...


...what I believe are Pine Drops...


...a wild rose...


...and the best discovery of all, Iowus Handsomus. I know, I know. But it's true.

No comments: