Sunday, July 6, 2008

A crime, but at least my hair doesn't frizz

So here in the high dessert clime of Boulder, I am a fish out of water. I won't bore you with the family history, but there is a longstanding association with the sea. I have never seen someone pick a lobster clean like my great, great Aunt Hazel. I'm fairly certain that any number of my relatives, if entered in a fried clam eating contest, would whip the pants off of the competition, and then ask for a plate of oysters to wash it all down.

Well, the sun sure is nice, and the low humidity means that my wavy hair actually looks wavy, not frizzy, but I remain many miles from fresh seafood. Sure, they can fly it in on a daily basis, but I do miss leaving work, walking a block to the pier, and taking home a couple of lobster at $4.48 a lb or mussels for far less.

Well to celebrate the long weekend, and the fact that at this time last year, Kevin and I were 2/3 of the way through our road trip out here to Colorado, we spent $5 a pound on four pounds of mussels. Now this was not a big expense, but it just seemed downright criminal to pay that much per pound. This doesn't mean I enjoyed them any less, mind you.

Check it out. No phoo phoo cooking here. We simply steamed them in butter, beer, garlic, and onions.

No comments: