Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sunrise at the Office - View East, Naturally


Not a bad sight to behold at the start of the work day. Of course what you don't see here are the seven layers of clothing I'm wearing to keep warm. Yes, it's a bit chilly at the farm these days, but by mid-morning the temps will work their way up to the high 70s, low 80s, and the layers will have been gradually retired, aside, of course, from the socially acceptable layers.

Once the sun is up, the view from the west is also lovely. The mountains look quite impressive now that they're dusted with a bit of snow. This view reminds me of the view of Mt. Washington and the Presidential Range I had from my bedroom while growing up in the western foothills of Maine, though I wasn't quite this close to the mountains and the open space was a lake, not a field.


Slightly off subject. I like lakes, and somehow this reminds me of a ditch just down the road from the house I grew up in, that my brother and I found fascinating for reasons I'm sure any six or eight year old could easily explain. We loved the idea of wading barefoot in the water that would collect there, but didn't like the fact that the bottom of the ditch was lined with leaves and such and might contain creatures unknown.

So one day, we scrounged up two plastic bread bags, removed our shoes and took turns wading in the water wearing the bread bags on our feet. The feeling of the water slowly pressing the plastic against my legs as I walked into the water, is a feeling that I can still remember. The nice thing is that I think we'd both be inclined to such behavior to this day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great memories for all of us. Two pretty good looking kids too. :)